Wednesday, May 18, 2011

More Things In My Mouth

It occurred to me that I often have strange cravings and really like some weird things. But as I tell my kids, it's important to be "Super Food Tasters" You don't have to eat it or like it but you have to try it. So here is a list of some of the strange things I have tried and loved and now eat often! I dare you to try some - no judging. Apricot Baby Food Apricot has always been my favorite but over the years baby food has come a long way and now Companies like Happy Baby and Plum Organics have come up with awesome pouches of baby food that come in every flavor under the sun! Not only are they delicious and easy to eat (uh you don't even have to chew) but they are super easy to throw in a bag and take with you. They contain only real fruit and no added sugar so at the drop of a hat instead of reaching for a Twix or a bag of chips, you can reach for this little pouch and shoot a whole serving of fruits and sometimes veggies down your throat! mmmmm..... I'm sucking on Spinach, mango, Pear right now! I am also in love with Plum Organics puffs, they are meant for tiny goobers because they basically just dissolve. What's great about them though is that they are a little crunchy and come in a whole rainbow of flavors, in fact their whole approach is helping kids eat their rainbow, which is very important for a Super Food Taster. I keep them in the car! Don't even get me started on the yogurt melts! Cottage Cheese Mixed with Apple Sauce Namely onion and chive cottage cheese with cinnamon apple sauce. There is something about the sweet and savory mix that hits all the right spots for me! Cinnamon Raisin Bagels With Onion and Chive Cream cheese Please see above. Macaroni and Cheese with Ketchup Eating Mac N' Cheese always makes me feel like a kid, it's so gooey and comforting. But adding ketchup to it just puts me in childhood overload. For some reason it really works, and don't forget to add a ton of cracked black pepper. Strawberries and Basil Though not that strange, I know allot of people have not tried it! I'm obsessed. It started with the strawberry Basil martini at Cuchi Cuchi in Cambridge - it is to DIE for. The sweetness of the strawberries and the smoothness of the basil go hand in hand. And if your feeling a little randy add some balsamic and black pepper to a bowl of fresh cut strawberries and torn basil. Try it for dessert, I promise it will change your life. Cheese Ball Sandwiches Take cheese balls and put them in a hot dog bun. Eat. Love. Ramon Noodles With Cheddar Cheese Wow, that does sound gross. But I have been doing it for as long as I can remember. I make a steaming bowl of ramon noodles with half the broth and I add a handful of shredded cheese, any shredded cheese will do but I prefer the bright orange cheddar. As it melts it gets all gooey and stringy with the noodles and it's the best rainy day lunch/supper. Pineapple, bacon, jalapeno pizza We have the Upper Crust to thank for this one. I have always loved Hawaiian pizza (Sorry Kapitz) but swapping out bacon for anything is always a good idea and adding the jalapenos gives this sweet salty pizza a nice kick in the pants. It by far is my favorite pizza combination. Gimme a slice of that with a little low fat ranch for dipping (I'm a huge believer in dipping) and I'm a happy gal. Peanut Butter Puffins with Non Fat Plain Greek Yogurt and Blueberries The perfect way to start your morning! PB Puffins are the bomb on their own, but mix them with a handful of blueberries and plain yogurt instead of milk and A. its much more filling B. you get more protein and probiotics with less fat and C. the sugar from the puffins seeps into the yogurt and the moisture from the yogurt seeps into the puffins to make them soft and its magic. I'll stop saying seeps now, it grosses me out. Crunchy Soy But Nutter I just realized my typo but I'm keeping it because it's fun to say. I discovered this years ago from a set of twins I nannied for that got substitutes of everything, poor kids. But in this instance it works. It's a little less sweet than peanut butter and has way less fat. Try it on anything you would have peanut butter on, I love it on celery with dried cranberries! It's like a coutoure "Ants On A Log" I'm a fan of the I.M. Healthy brand. And it totes comes in chocolate! Tofu Plain and simple I love the stuff! I tried it first at Whole Foods. They make a fried seseme Tofu that is quite simply God's gift to earth. Of course frying anything makes it taste good, but beyond the taste it helps with the texture which is usually peoples beef with Tofu. Ha. Beef with Tofu. Anyway Once I got past the first step I was in love. I drain and cube it and roast it for a snack or to throw in stir frys. I'll eat right out of the package though that is my least favorite way. I even discovered these slimy tofu noodles. You have to rinse them because they smell like ass but they have th consistency of ramon but with the benefits of tofu and like zero calories and way low carbs! It's also a great pasta substitute for all you South Beachers out there! You may have to try tofu a few different ways but I bet you'll find one that doesn't make you throw up! I even converted Pete! Fresca I just love the stuff. Usually I drink seltzer water but if I want a little something extra this is my go to can. I heart Fresca plain and simple, I know it's only a tiny step up from TAB but a nice cold can cannot be beat. Not enough people are choosing this as their diet soda in my humble opinion. That's all I can think of right now, But I know there are others. Sometimes I get strange looks for these things, even Pete after all these years still can't get over the cottage cheese and apple sauce deal. What kinds of strange things do you eat or crave? Preggers or not!

1 comment: