Monday, November 28, 2011

A Creative Space


So we are finally done with the office! This room was really important to us. Both of us being artists means we really needed a calm and creative space to get work done. For the last umpteen years we have been forced to share our "creative space" with a bedroom, guest room, cat room... But now we have a space that's just for us and all that goodness that will come out of us! uuuhhh... ew? Its a smaller room that eventually will be "hypothetical baby's" room so I wanted to paint it with warm soothing blues and greens. I didn't want to have to paint again! The slant on the ceiling made it hard to see where the wall stopped and the ceiling began so I made a creative decision to paint the slant blue! That was a bitch, eyeing it with tape! ugh! But I think it worked out. The room gets a ton of sun through the skylight and it's so cozy!! We repainted an old bookshelf and shelf papered the shelves and now it holds my vast collection of children's books. I know, I'm nuts but I can't get enough of them! Plus it's research because Eventually I will be writing my own in this very room! Our old Pic Nic dining room table is now our kick ass desk. Just because it's a desk, doesn't mean it needs to be metal or a traditional computer desk. Its the perfect size to hold Pete's mammoth computer fixin's and also have room to write or scrap book!!

Speaking of scrapbooking, I have to get back on that! My old bureau which we tried to get rid of for years is now my scrapbooking center! Seriously, this was like the little bureau that could! We tried to sell it on craigslist and people kept saying they wanted it and never came to get it. We tried to give it to Big Brothers Big Sisters but we forgot to put it out on the right day. We tried to give it to Goodwill and then they forgot to come get it and eventually we had to move so it lived in our shed! But a tiny $2.00 jar of latex paint and some water turned this drab dresser into a shabby chic Armoire! I had some terrifying yet awesome hermit crab knobs that were From Anthropologie, marked down from $12.99 to $1.99 each, so I had to jump on them! I also had been hoarding some turquoise ceramic knobs from Homegoods. It took about 2 hours and VERY minimals tools (I'm still learning not to be afraid of them) And it really came out great! I wanted something that looked a little older but still could add some colour and this definitely did the trick!


Unfortunately even though I painstakingly painted the perfect colors and got everything the way I wanted, Pete has to put up sound foam all around the room in order to work from home! I was not a happy camper, even wanted to spend a few hundred dollars on foam that would match better! But at the end of the day, this foam was free and if it means my Boots can now work from home I'll take it!!

1 comment:

  1. I have taken the room over, I am sorry darling! But I can attest it is a wonderful space!

    ReplyDelete